theJANG.net
Bamidele O. Shangobunmi

JANG Speaks!: Courtesy -- you never know when it'll come in handy

Friday, April 10, 2009

Courtesy -- you never know when it'll come in handy

On my way to an important, potentially tense & politically-charged meeting today, I took an elevator with a complete stranger.  We both were going to the same floor, and when the elevator opened, I held the door and politely yielded, ushering him out ahead of me.  About 30 seconds later, I was sitting in the meeting room when that same gentleman came walking in.  As it turns out, he's the director of one of the groups we were meeting about.  When we were introduced, I could sense that we were both silently thinking, "Ah, but we've already met, in a way."  Things started off on a very positive foot.

It always pays to be kind.  Well, maybe not always, but it certainly never hurts.

No comments: